We live in a time of change and chaos that produces social and ecological upheaval. However, these challenges also present opportunities to cultivate maturity and embrace responsibility.
Sacred futurism assumes a worldview that embraces cosmic connectedness--that all sentient beings form a unified web or relations. This, in turn, creates a caring human society where people treat each other and other species as sacred beings.
Fundamental creative processes in nature sustain life and promote creativity, complexity, and diversity.
Our continued existence depends on awakening to, and enacting, the following principles of sacred futurism:
- Nature forms a sacred unity: We must now view ourselves as part of this unified sacred world.
- Diversity expresses sacred multiplicity: We must now see diversity--biological and cultural--as a creative expression of nature's deep intelligence.
- Transform our Thinking: We also ned to change the way we think about thinking and open up to other valid ways of knowing.
- Holism balances reductionism: Humans tend towards dualism, simplification, and reductionism. For centuries, we have turned to science for answers to all our problems; but science and technology divorces from ethical considerations push us inevitably towards a dystopian future.
- Create a new cosmology story: Sacred Futurism advocates developing and sharing a new cosmology story: from viewing the world as a machine to a sentient, living organism.
- Embrace complexity and uncertainty: We cannot escape the reality of complexity--as novelty, ambiguity, and uncertainty continue to grow. Complexity research reveals chaos at the heart of all order and life. Attempts to suppress complexity, chaos, and uncertainty result in stagnation and death.
- Living systems thrive on regeneration: We must learn to accept, embrace and use complexity by understanding and manifesting the sacred principles of regeneration.